Brochure Type: Europe Winter 2018-19
A wonderful tour, visiting the best of Europe's great highlights. At this time of year, nothing could be more enjoyable than rubbing shoulders with the locals, while you snack on homemade gingerbread and sip mulled wine in cosy cafes and colourful Christmas Markets.
- Munich: At the Christmas Market, meet a local stallholder and taste the delicious Lebkuchen with a fragrant cup of Gluhwein, available on trips that visit Munich Christmas Market.
- Hall in Tirol: Perfectly situated in a 700-year-old building in the charming town of Hall in Tirol, savour a medieval banquet of Austrian specialties with wine.
- Heidelberg: Toast the culmination of your travels at a rousing Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Dining Summary: 8 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee. Departures travelling over Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve will enjoy festive Highlight Dinners which will replace an included meal.
- Salzburg: Walk through the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, where the 'Do, Re, Mi' scene was filmed for 'The Sound of Music.' Your Local Expert will also show you Mozart's birthplace on the Getreidegasse, the domed cathedral and the splendid Residenz Fountain.
- Christmas Markets: Lose yourself in the festive atmosphere of Christmas where you can shop for local delicacies and try the heart-warming Gluhwein. Explore on select departures.
- Mainz: Witness half-timbered houses and Baroque buildings surrounding the magnificent Dom Cathedral.
- Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber: Fortified by ancient walls, picturesque and unspoiled, Rothenburg is a fairytale come true at any time of year. In December it dazzles with its 500-year-old Reiterlesmarkt lending a festive air to the cobbled streets and buildings. See the animated town clock and explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- Munich: During your orientation of the city with your Travel Director, see the Victory Arch, Town Hall and Glockenspiel in Marienplatz.
- Innsbruck: Visit Wilten Basilica.
- Innsbruck: During your orientation you will see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace in the Old Town.
- Innsbruck: Meet your coachman and enjoy a delightful horse-drawn carriage ride, surrounded by the mountains and valleys of Tyrol.
- Vaduz: Admire the Royal family's residence, Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the capital and is surrounded by year-round snow peaked mountains.
- Lucerne: A spectacular journey by cable car to the summit of Mount Pilatus offers expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne.
- Lucerne: See the covered wooden bridges, Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Rhine Falls: Visit these spectacular falls.
- Heidelberg: See the red sandstone castle and explore the baroque Old Town with your Travel Director.
- Scenic Drives: Venture along part of Germany's Romantic Road and past Lake Chiemsee, through the Arlberg region and the scenic Black Forest, past Walensee Lake in Switzerland.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (217) 222-0515 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867227
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Mainz||Frankfurt and on to Mainz.: Welcome to Germany. From the Rhine Valley to the Alps, experience lively cosmopolitan cities, historic old towns and breathtaking natural scenery. Transfers from Frankfurt airport to your Mainz hotel depart at 09:30 and 12:30. Mainz has been a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans. Join your Travel Director and fellow guests at 18:00, for a walk through the Cathedral Quarter to witness the magnificent architecture of the city's Dom. At a local restaurant, enjoy a pleasant evening of good food and wine during your Welcome Dinner. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 3||Munich||Rothenburg and the Romantic Road to Munich.: Head to fortified Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber, overlooking the winding Tauber River. Once through the medieval walls, you are immediately transported back into the 16th century, as cobblestone streets lead you to the medieval Market Square with its Town Hall. Perhaps visit Tilman Riemenschneider's 'Holy Blood' altarpiece in St Jakob's Church or pop into the Christmas shop where you'll find the festive spirit all year round? Follow parts of the Romantic Road to fun-loving Munich. (Buffet Breakfast)|
The Westin Grand Munich.
|Day 4||Munich||The Bavarian Capital of Munich.: During your orientation you will see Victory Arch and the university, concluding in the Marienplatz with its soaring Gothic Town Hall and colourful Glockenspiel. For those arriving before Christmas, visit the festive Christmas Market and meet a local stallholder for a taste of traditional Lebkuchen and a fragrant cup of Gluhwein. The rest of the day is at leisure. Why not try a foaming stein of beer at the world-famous Hofbrauhaus? (Buffet Breakfast)|
The Westin Grand Munich.
|Day 5||Salzburg||Lake Chiemsee to Salzburg.: Travel alongside the beautiful Lake Chiemsee and cross the Austrian border to Salzburg, 'alive with the Sound of Music.' Walk with your Local Expert through the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and admire the city skyline, crowned by the majestic Hohensalzburg Fortress. Cross the Salzach River to see Mozart's birthplace on the Getreidegasse, a lively shopping street lined with charming wrought-iron signs. Follow the narrow lanes of the Old Town to the domed cathedral and the splendid Residenz Fountain, before having time at leisure to enjoy as you please. In the evening, perhaps visit an Austrian chalet for dinner, drinks and the opportunity to learn about life in the countryside? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Wyndham Grand Salzburg.
|Day 6||Innsbruck||Innsbruck, mountain-ringed Capital of Tyrol.: A scenic journey takes you through snow-capped mountains to Innsbruck. A multitude of Rococo cherubs and angels will greet you when you venture inside the Wilten Basilica. See the Imperial Palace and magnificent Golden Roof in the Old Town, then loose yourself in the festive atmosphere as you spend some time exploring Innsbruck's magical Christmas Markets. The giant Christmas tree dominates the square and is adorned in lights and decorations. Peruse the market stalls, selling handmade trinkets that make perfect gifts for friends and family, along with delicious local treats of home-made biscuits, jams and delicious, soul-warming Gluhwein. In the afternoon, meet your coachman and take in the delightful scenery and pure fresh air on a horse-drawn carriage ride, known as a Fiaker. At night, journey to the charming town of Hall in Tirol, which boasts one of Austria's best-preserved historic town centres. Enjoy a medieval highlight banquet set in a 700-year-old building. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
AC by Marriott, Innsbruck.
|Day 7||Lucerne||Liechtenstein and Lucerne by the Lake.: Delightful scenery abounds as you make your way to the Arlberg Tunnel. Stop in Vaduz, capital of the Principality of Liechtenstein, one of Europe's smallest countries. Cross the Swiss border and continue to lakeside Lucerne. Your Travel Director will show you the covered wooden Chapel Bridge and you'll learn about the poignant history of the Lion Monument. Then you are at leisure to shop for Swiss watches or delicious chocolate. (Buffet Breakfast)|
The Hotel Astoria Lucerne.
|Day 8||Lucerne||Lovely Lucerne.: Start the day with a spectacular cable car ride with incredible views up Mount Pilatus. Back in Lucerne, you are free to admire the superb baroque Jesuit Church, stroll along lakeside promenades, or explore the old walls and watch towers of the medieval fortifications. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
The Hotel Astoria Lucerne.
|Day 9||Heidelberg||Heidelberg, Romance on the Neckar.: Stop at Schaffhausen to see the Rhine River thundering over the Rhine Falls. Cross the German border and venture deep into the Black Forest. Following the Rhine Valley north, head for the town of Heidelberg, set on the banks of the river Neckar and dominated by its magnificent red sandstone castle. Stroll through the old town or perhaps see the old Student Prison? In the evening, enjoy good food, wine and company at your Celebration Dinner. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Crowne Plaza Heidelberg City Centre.
|Day 10||Depart Frankfurt Airport||Depart Frankfurt Airport.: A transfer to Frankfurt airport's Terminal 1 arrives at 09:00 and Terminal 2 at 09:15. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Christmas Markets: 16 Nov explores Innsbruck; 23 Nov explores Salzburg, Innsbruck & Heidelberg; 30 Nov explores Mainz, Rothenburg, Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Lucerne & Heidelberg; 18 Dec explores Mainz, Rothenburg, Munich, Salzburg & Innsbruck; 20 Dec explores Mainz, Rothenburg, Munich & Salzburg. Festive Highlight Dinners: 18 Dec Christmas Day in Lucerne, 20 Dec Christmas Day in Innsbruck, 29 Dec New Year's Eve in Munich.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class