Country Roads of Bavaria, Switzerland & Austria - with Oberammergau, Classic Group, 2022
Brochure Type: 2021-2022 Europe & Beyond
Surprisingly, the vineyards, gabled shop fronts and opulent palaces play second fiddle to the scenery. Experience the magical, unrivalled beauty of the Alpine world, on-board the enthralling Glacier Express. Explore the quaint village of Oberammergau as it springs into action for the once in a decade Passion Play with included premium tickets to the world famous performance.
- Munich: What better way to start your journey than a Welcome Dinner at a typical German local restaurant, Donisl restaurant.
- Vienna: For your dining pleasure, you are offered a selection of Vienna's vibrant restaurants. With drinks, a delicious 3-course dinner and Gluhwein in abundance, your Dine-Around Evening is a culinary experience not to be missed.
- Stanserhorn: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne for your special Celebration Dinner. Fill your glasses with wine and toast to newfound friends.
- Dining Summary: 10 Breakfasts (B), 2 Dinners (D), 4 Dinners with Wine (DW)
- Vienna: Choose between a guided tour of Schonbrunn Palace or alternatively, join your Local Expert to stroll through the manicured ground and the 18th century Crown Prince Garden.
- Munich: See Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz, the Palace of the Dukes of Wittelsbach, the English Garden, the Hofbrauhaus, St. Peter's Church and the famous Marienplatz.
- Neuschwanstein: Visit the archetypal fairy-tale castle that allegedly inspired many of Walt Disney's castles. Led by a local historian, walk through the magnificent halls, take in the lavish decoration and enjoy spectacular views.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ's last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert to visit the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residence Square - both locations used in 'The Sound of Music.' You will also see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse.
- Vienna: During your orientation led by your Travel Director, travel along the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
- Kindberg: During your orientation see the colourful maypole.
- St Veit an der Glan: During your orientation learn about this historic town.
- Innsbruck: Enjoy an orientation with your Travel Director as you walk the narrow streets of the Old Town, lined with medieval houses and arcades, to see the Golden Roof.
- St Moritz: During your orientation of this alpine resort see the spa quarter and glacial lake.
- Glacier Express: Travel along the route of the world-famous Glacier Express, through looping tunnels and dizzying viaducts, in the scenic heart of the Swiss Alps, on a regional train fully powered by hydroelectricity.
- Lucerne: During your orientation with your Travel Director, see the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
Call (217) 222-0515 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15546136
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2021
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Munich||Welcome to Fun-Loving Munich: Transfers to your hotel leave Munich airport at 10:00 and 13:00.Join your Travel Director at 15:30 for an orientation tour of the city. See the Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz, the Palace of the Dukes of Wittelsbach, the English Garden, the Hofbrauhaus, St. Peter's Church and the famous Marienplatz.Join your fellow guests for a drink and enjoy a pleasant Welcome Dinner at Donisl restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Pullman Munich Hotel.
|Day 2||Munich||Jewels of the Bavarian Alps: Embark on an exciting visit to Neuschwanstein Castle, bristling with turrets and pinnacles and built as a retreat for the wildly eccentric King Ludwig II. See the extravagantly decorated apartments, including the Throne Room and Lohengrin Grotto. On your return to Munich, the rest of the day is free for you to explore Bavaria's capital city. Perhaps visit one of its many art galleries and museums, or relax and enjoy a coffee in the delightful Marienplatz? (Breakfast)|
Pullman Munich Hotel.
|Day 3||Vienna||The City of Mozart and on to Vienna: A short drive over the Austrian border leads to Salzburg, 'alive with the sound of music'. Join your Local Expert who will show you the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, Residenzplatz, the city's imposing fortress, the immense cathedral in the Old Town and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse. Continue to the Austrian capital of Vienna. (Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Vienna||Vienna and the Habsburgs: Explore Schonbrunn with Insight Choice. Tour the Palace and marvel at its frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers and gilded ornaments. Alternatively, join your Local Expert to stroll through the manicured grounds and enter the 18th century Crown Prince Garden. Then see the city's many highlights, including St. Charles' Church, the Hofburg Palace, Parliament and State Opera House. This evening, enjoy a Dine-Around experience from your choice of specially selected restaurants. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 5||St. Veit an der Glan||Sleepy Austrian Byways to St. Veit an der Glan: Take a delightful drive through undiscovered Austria.Climb the dramatic Semmering Pass and stop in Kindberg with its colourful maypole.Continue south to the border to arrive in historic St. Veit an der Glan. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Die Zeit, Sankt Veit and der Glan.
|Day 6||Oberammergau||Pass the Dolomites to Innsbruck and Oberammergau: Pass the magnificent Dolomites as your journey continues through the High Alps to arrive at mountain-ringed Innsbruck. An orientation of Innsbruck shows you the 14th century houses of the old town, the impressive Imperial Palace and the delightful Golden Roof. Then continue north to Oberammergau, situated in the heart of the Bavarian Alps and home of the Passion Play since 1634. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Oberammergau and surrounding villages.
|Day 7||Oberammergau||The Passion Play: After a morning at leisure in charming Oberammergau, take your premium reserved seats to witness the world famous Passion Play, re-enacting the last days of Christ on earth. After a break for dinner in a local restaurant, the captivating performance continues into the evening. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Oberammergau and surrounding villages.
|Day 8||St. Moritz||The Engadine Valley and Chic St. Moritz: Take in the stunning views of the beautiful Engadine Valley, as you enter Switzerland headed for the chic Alpine resort of St. Moritz. Enjoy St. Moritz's marvellous scenery, fresh air and perhaps visit its many luxury boutiques. You may even choose to step aboard the Bernina Express to experience one of Europe's most outstanding train journeys. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Crystal Hotel / Hotel Steffani, St. Moritz.
|Day 9||Lucerne||All aboard the Glacier Express and on to Lucerne: Embark on an iconic train journey onboard the Glacier Express, as you take in vistas of ice-capped mountains, stone-built villages and lush meadows. Ascend through the spiral tunnels of the Albula Pass and cross the Landwasser Viaduct before heading down through the Oberalp Valley to rejoin the coach at Andermatt. Continue north, following the staggering Schollenen Gorge through William Tell country, to lovely lakeside Lucerne, one of Europe's most popular cities set on the banks of Lake Lucerne. Join your Travel Director to see the sorrowful sculpture of the dying lion, cut out of a limestone cliff to commemorate the Swiss Guards who died at the Battle of the Tuileries. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 10||Lucerne||Dinner at the 'Roof of Europe' in Stanserhorn.: Enjoy the morning at your leisure to explore the city's 14th century covered wooden bridges, painted gables, old walls and watch towers of the medieval fortifications. Stroll across the Chapel Bridge to the Jesuit Church, or use your free time to shop. Later, head to the town of Stans where you'll embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and cable car, to the summit of the stunning Stanserhorn. On a clear day there are views as far as Alsace in France and the Black Forest in Germany.Here amid true Alpine majesty, your journey literally peaks with an unforgettable Celebration Dinner, hosted in Drehrestaurant Rondorama, located atop the mountain. Enjoy a glass of sparkling wine and admire the stunning 360-degree views as the restaurant slowly rotates throughout the evening, ensuring you don't miss a thing. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 11||Zurich||Leave Lucerne for Zurich: Your alpine adventures end this morning, with a transfer to Zurich airport arriving at 08:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: (05 Aug, 23 Dec and 27 Dec) These departures will stay at an alternative hotel of similar standard in Vienna.(05 Aug, 26 Aug and 23 Dec) These departures will stay at an alternative hotel of similar standard in Innsbruck.(12 Aug, 19 Aug, 23 Dec, 27 Dec and 27 Dec) These departures will stay at an alternative hotel of similar standard outside of Munich.(27 Dec, 27 Dec, 27 Dec and 27 Dec) These departures will stay at an alternative hotel of similar standard in Munich.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class